Learn about the Koenji Awaodori More!
Origin of Awaodori
Awaodori originally began in Tokushima prefecture, located in Shikoku Island. There are several stories about the origin of Tokushima Awaodori:
* When the Tokushima Castle was completed in 1587, the town people danced Awaodori as a celebration to the feudal lord Hachisuga.
* It derived from Furyu Dance, which is said to be the origin of no play (the Japanese traditional masked-dance drama).
* It originates from Bon Dance that used to be held in July of the lunar calendar.
In either case, Awaodori is a traditional event that has a history of 400 years. Awaodori was then cultivated more and more by wealthy indigo merchants of the Meiji Era. Tokyo Koenji Awaodori has always respected and learned from the original Awaodori, the proud legacy of Tokushima.
See the real face of Koenji
The name of the town Koenji originates from the Shukuhozan Koenji, the Soto Zen Buddhism temple. Surrounded by JR Koenji Sta., Higashi Koenji Sta. and Shin Koenji Sta. of Tokyo Metro Marunouchi Line, the town Koenji consists of 18 shotengai (shopping promenades) and several residential areas, which are mixed with both single-family houses and apartment buildings. About 44,000 people across all age groups are living in this town. The size of the town is about 2 square kilometers; about 42 times as big as Tokyo Dome or twice as big as the Imperial Palace. Although Koenji makes up only 6% of Suginami Ward, which is about 34 square kilometers, the town is known for its lively atmosphere and often appears in such rankings as Tokyo most attractive towns.